Building Community Through Food and Storytelling
Calling for recipes from UW students, staff and faculty on all campuses!
What is one food or food dish that represents your identity? How does this food item embrace and/or showcase who you are? Created by students for the Husky community, the Husky Cookbook is a collection of recipes and food stories gathered from UW students, staff, and faculty. The project aims to unite members across the broader UW community through food and their stories told through food.
Not only is food a way to break barriers and build relationships, but it’s also a way in which stories of culture and traditions are shared. Through print and online mediums, this Husky Cookbook aims to showcase the diverse members of our UW community, foster a sense of community by encouraging dialogue on how our identities are shaped by food traditions and culture, and promote cooking and sharing of meals.
UW student (undergraduate, graduate or professional), faculty and staff from all campuses are encouraged to apply.
Steps to Submit to the Husky Cookbook:
- Choose one food item/dish that highlights and showcases your identity; this is open to your interpretation (your cultural identity, upbringing/background, preferences/values, etc.).
- Submit a clear, accurate and reproducible recipe of the food item/dish. Original and/or family recipes are welcomed, but not mandatory. If you find a recipe online or in a printed source, please provide a reference.
- Submit a 100 to 150-word response that addresses how the food item/dish represents your identity. This is a creative writing response. Please let your voice shine through!
- Applications open: October 1st, 2019
- Applications close: November 1st, 2019, 5pm
Selected recipes and food stories will be featured in the Husky Cookbook (printed and distributed). Participants will be notified via email if selected.
All submitted recipes and food stories will be featured online.
All participants who submit a recipe and food story will be entered into a drawing for one of several Amazon gift cards!