Job Location: Othello UW Commons-4200 S Othello Street, Seattle, WA 98118
The Othello-UW Commons is a new initiative of the University of Washington and is a whole-University effort involving the leadership of the Executive Office as well as that of nearly half of the UW’s schools and colleges.
The Othello-UW Commons is an approximately 2,200 square foot teaching, learning, and event/gathering space under lease by the UW in a new multi-use complex located in Southeast Seattle adjacent to the Othello light rail station. Collaborators in the Othello-UW Commons will seek to build upon and extend enduring community partnerships and catalyze new, mutually reinforcing partnerships in Southeast Seattle for years to come. Undergraduate Academic Affairs, a unit which shapes, advances and stewards a world-class undergraduate academic experience for students at the UW, will serve as the administrative home for this work and position. The space will open January 16th and programs will start the week of January 14th. All of the student jobs will take place at the Othello UW Commons in Southeast Seattle.
At the University of Washington, diversity is integral to excellence. We value and honor diverse experiences and perspectives, strive to create welcoming and respectful learning environments, and promote access, opportunity and justice for all.
Othello-UW Commons seeks two hourly student assistants (undergraduate or graduate). Each student will report directly to the manager and maintain, clean and organize meeting and classroom spaces in a brand new learning, teaching and meeting venue. The students will also collaborate with other student workers and full time staff to provide customer service and be the point of contact for users of the space. The students must be willing to work evenings (5-9pm M-Thursday) and occasionally on the weekends. Each student may be asked to staff the space alone.
The primary responsibilities of this position will be to support the day to day operations of the Othello UW Commons including but not limited to:
- Oversee the day-to-day operation of the facility, taking lead from the Manager of the Othello-UW Commons as well the Administrative Assistant
- Open and close the classrooms and offices
- Communicate with the property management to ensure the security of the facility
- Maintain security incident log
- Setup/reset the rooms before and after classes and programs
- Ensure that guests adhere to policies and procedures for using wifi and audiovisual equipment
- Notify Manager and/or Administrative Assistant of any maintenance needs
- Work directly with Manager and Administrative Assistant to resolve general building, custodial and common area issues
- Other duties as assigned
- Meet minimum enrollment requirements for UW undergraduate or graduate students
- Excellent customer service skills manifested in an ability to interact politely and respectfully with space users and visitors including UW staff, students and faculty as well as community members
- Reliability, timeliness, and ability to work independently
- Ability to balance shifting priorities and communicate well with supervisor
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Comfort with, and aptitude in working AV equipment
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to check work for accuracy
- Familiarity with SE Seattle communities is desired
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products
- Comfortable working with a diverse population in groups and individually
- Ability to commit to approximately 12-14 hours/week during the academic year, with a possibility of similar hours extending through summer
- Willingness to work evening hours (5-9pm) and occasional weekend hours
- Ability to lift/move 20 pounds regularly and up to 40 pounds occasionally for classroom/event setup and tear down
Undergraduate Academic Affairs hopes to provide student employees with a meaningful work experience. Some intended learning competencies that will be developed in this position include:
- Customer service and interpersonal skills
- Experience working in a professional environment interacting with a variety of clientele
- Resourcefulness and the ability to synthesize information
- Time management and the ability to plan, organize and prioritize work
- Building and fostering collaborative relationships in a diverse workplace
- Familiarity with AV equipment and ability to problem solve technical issues independently
This position will report to the Manager of the Othello UW Commons.
JOB HOURS AND PAYRATE:
- 12-14 hours/week M-Th, $16/hour
- Occasionally work up to 5-7 hours Friday through Sunday
Regular work hours will be scheduled during the hours of 5-9pm Monday through Thursday. There will be opportunities to occasionally work Friday-Sunday based upon needs of the space. Candidates should be willing and able to take on occasional weekend hours. Ideal candidates will be able to work through current academic year, with the possibility of the position continuing through summer and longer. During academic breaks, hours can increase or decrease based on need. Job location is at Othello-UW Commons in SE Seattle. Work study students are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com byWednesday, December 19th.