The Division of Audiology in the Department of Otolaryngology and Communicative Sciences at the University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC) is now accepting applications for students interested in a well-rounded externship for the 2019-2020 academic year. Here at UMMC, we strive to provide externs with a diverse clinical and didactic experience serving individuals of all ages with hearing and balance disorders.
What you will learn:
- Diagnostic evaluations for newborn, pediatric, adult and geriatric individuals, which includes both behavioral and electrophysiological testing
- Selection, fitting, and verification of amplification devices, including hearing aids, assisted listening devices, bon conduction implants, and cochlear implants
- Evaluation and treatment for patients with tinnitus
- Evaluation and treatment of patients with dizziness, vertigo or imbalance
- Intraoperative monitoring
Externs can expect to receive supervision by a range of experienced, licensed, doctoral level audiologists within a variety of clinical settings and facilities. Please note that supervision from an ASHA certified audiologist (CCC-A) is available, but not always guaranteed for all assigned rotations.
Externs receive an annual stipend.
How to apply:
Submit your resume/curriculum vitae, two letters of recommendation, graduate transcript (official or unofficial), and cover letter outlining externship and career goals to the address below or via email to email@example.com.
Audiology Externship Committee
University of Mississippi Medical Center
Otolaryngology and Communicative Sciences
2500 N State Street, 5 East
Jackson, MS 39216
Application materials are due Monday, September 17, 2018. All applicants are required to attend an in-person interview at UMMC on Friday, October 12, 2018 (funding for travel and accommodations is not available). Formal written invitation to interview will be emailed to the applicants as soon as all required materials are received. The interview day will include tours of the various clinics, Q&A with current externs, and opportunities to meet with several preceptors.
For questions, please email the externship committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.