Message from a current SLP at the Kansas School for the Deaf:
We are currently looking for an SLP to join our team for the 2020-2021 school year. Finding SLPs who are skilled to work within our unique setting can be quite difficult. Although, we have found that once we gain an SLP here, they often stay until retirement. I have been a part of this rich, Kansas, Deaf community for 17 years and am thankful to have specialized with this population. We are a bilingual, preschool through high school setting and our 6 current SLPs utilize both ASL and English when working with our students. Our SLPs also hold their CCCs and would be able to supervise a new graduate through their CFY year. While American Sign Language fluency is not a mandatory requirement upon interviewing for the position, the desire to learn the language is! Almost all of us have learned this language on the job and on-site classes are provided for free to our new employees. Openings at our school are few and far between. We are sad to say good-bye to our SLP that is retiring this year after 40 years of service.
Job Opening Announcement:
- POSITION TITLE: Full –Time Speech/Language Pathologist
- SALARY: Placement made within agency guidelines on salary schedule depending upon professional background and experience. Excellent benefits
- SCHEDULE: 2020-2021 School Year
- EMPLOYMENT DATE: August 2020 (possible earlier start date due to training)
(Synopsis, full position description upon request)
- Conduct individual and/or group speech-language therapy as mandated by the IEP process with students utilizing standardized tests, therapist-made tests, curriculum, and any other materials and/or tests deemed necessary.
- Perform work associated with student therapy such as assemble appropriate materials; monitor student progress in attaining IEP goals; collaborate, as appropriate, with staff to serve students; communicate with parents as needed; and maintain control of students.
- All requirements as mandated by the State and/or school will be met (e.g., Medicaid).
- Complete all scheduled reports including, but not limited to, student comprehensive re-evaluations, progress monitoring, IEPs, department reports, and others as assigned by the specified due date in order to maintain current school records.
- Provide interpretation of evaluations, assessments, and therapy progress/prognoses to parents, students, staff, and other authorized personnel.
- Participate in IEP/comprehensive, staff, and student meetings as needed.
- Attend agency, instructional, professional, and staff development meetings as required in order to enhance communication, improve skills, and coordinate programs.
- Participate in other programs and meetings as required to maintain appropriate certification and/or licensure, continue professional growth.
- Use appropriate communication skills with students, staff, parents, and the public in order to effectively communicate with deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing individuals.
- Take the initiative to improve American Sign Language and/or English skills to an appropriate level.
- Master’s degree Speech/Language Pathology, Bilingual Education as it applies to students who are D/HH, Kansas Licensure for Speech/Language Therapist.
- Fluency in American Sign Language (ASL) and English; fluency in Spanish is a plus;
- Knowledge of educational, social/emotional, and developmental needs of DHH students;
- Awareness of deaf culture;
- Ability to make oral and/or written reports/presentations;
- Basic knowledge of special education law and procedures;
- Ability to apply principles of speech/language pathology with DHH students;
- Ability to make proper responses to safety/health problems.
- Represent KSD in a professional and appropriate manner at all times.
(ASL & Writing skills will be assessed)
Upon offer of employment a background check will be conducted via the KS Bureau of Investigation, Backgrounds Plus consents, Kansas Department of Children and Family Services, Sex Offender Listing, and Work Reference consent. Also a Tuberculosis test & Health Certificate must be passed upon offer of employment (cost borne by employee).
Open Until Filled. Send resume and copies of all college transcripts. For consideration request an official KSD application or go to our website and submit application for KSD review.
Michele Golden, Human Resources Office;
VP: 913-324-5865; E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Fax: 913-791-0557
For more information or to submit an application for review, see their website by clicking here.