Finding a Job (in a Foreign Country) !

Now that school here has ended, finding a job for the summer has consumed most of my time. The job quest has been fun and interesting – but also challenging. The task: find a job for two months, July and August. Where to look? English teaching, babysitting, tourism related jobs, restaurants, bars, and the like. These places have proved the most likely to hire an English speaking foreign student, on a part-time basis for the summer.

What to know? Know the websites! In France, there are several sites dedicated to Anglophones in Paris/France; most are for families seeking English tutors or babysitters for their children. Ask around, everyone you know — natives, expats, other students, etc — for websites. By asking around I’ve found two of the most helpful sites yet: fusac.fr (a site with job and housing announcements for Anglophones living in Paris) and cherche-cours.com (a site where you can post free ads for English tutoring, etc.). By responding to announcements, and postings announcements, I’ve had four interviews for summer jobs! While going to interview after interview, isn’t the most exciting — it has been great practice for my French! Bars and restaurants: go in, ask if they are looking for any new staff, have your CV ready — some of my study abroad friends were hired on the spot!

Part two: During my job hunt, I’ve found one thing, as a native English speaker, there will always be a nanny job in Europe, particularly in France. Why is this important? Well, if you want to travel, see new places, experience different cultures there is one (inexpensive!) sure way to do that: be an Au Pair. Tons of families in France have almost all of July and August off for summer vacation and many are seeking summer Au Pairs to accompany them on vacation- how does the South of France — the beaches of Nice and Cannes — or, Spain sound? I’ve found over thirty positings on au pair websites (i.e, abc-familes.com, aupair-world.net) and other sites, such as Fusac.fr, with families seeking English speaking au pairs to come from anywhere between two weeks and two months on vacation to look after the children. What is typically included? Free housing, food, and a stipend around 70-150 euros a week.

Part three: Woofing! (wwooff.org) World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms. Sounds a bit North-westy Birkenstock, veggie doesn’t it 🙂 ? While I have never “woofed,” I have heard wonderful things about it. Essentially, you select a region to go (I’ve known people who have gone to Italy and France), and you work five hours a day on a farm. I think the stays can be as short as one week, but check the website to confirm! In exchange for working on the farm, you receive housing and food. But what’s more, you have the opportunity to immerse yourself into a foreign family to see how they live their daily lives. And if you go to Italy or France, I’m betting that the food and wine won’t be too bad, either. I think I might have to try this ‘woofing’ out…

Moral of the story: always know that there is work available in foreign countries, but finding where to look is the tricky part! 748 Google searches later and you’ll be ready to fund (or prevent from diving into too big of debt) your study/travels abroad.

À la prochaine!

2 thoughts on “Finding a Job (in a Foreign Country) !