Traveling Tips – Norway Edition!

Due to the recent realization that I may have underestimated how expensive and different Norway is, I have decided to start a few tips for traveling to Norway!

IMG_7164IMG_7198

The view from my room. Bergen, Norway 

Number one: Bring a lot of money and transfer it into NOK before you get here.

So you’ve heard Norway is expensive right? Well, now you know. I knew Norway was going to be expensive but I had NO idea it would be this expensive. One bus ride is about $4.00, and the McDonald’s does not have a dollar menu. Think of everything you buy, and then at least double the price.

The reason behind transferring your money before you arrive is mainly because the US banks will give you a much better deal than any airport, or random vendor here in Norway. However, It is not just that but there is no Chase bank, Bank of America, or BECU. The ATM fees will bury you alive.

Number two: Black jeans and converse, Wear it.

If you are a woman, or man, you will see almost every single Norwegian wearing this outfit. The shirt rotates, but the bottom is always the same. In the states women tend to wear various pairs of shoes, however, Norwegians here stick to the basics.

Number three: Bring TP, some dry food, shampoo / conditioner.

My four biggest regrets. Like I said earlier, everything in Norway is expensive including the basics. If you can get away with sparring some room in your luggage for these items, I would recommend. That is four things you do not have to worry about – the less to worry about the better. More room for fun! Also, they aren’t necessary to take back with you, so the room that they take in your luggage is the room you can use for your new Norwegian sweaters!

Number four: Try and forget about Mexican food… 

Maybe this is just a tip for me… due to my absolute love for Mexican food, but you just wont find it in Norway. Although, Friday’s are taco Fridays! Literally everyone in Norway makes tacos on Friday… you just do..

Number five: Hike, Hike, Hike!!

With Bergen being surrounded by seven Fjords, there is absolutely no excuse not to hike! So bring those shoes, workout pants and your rain coat! (yes it rains almost everyday) So far, I have hiked only two of the Fjords, however, every weekend it is a new adventure! Its the cheapest and most fulfilling thing that Bergen can offer you, so take it!

More to come! 🙂

One thought on “Traveling Tips – Norway Edition!

1. Magnificent items from you, man. I have have in mind your stuff previous to and you are simply extremely magnificent.
    I actually like what you’ve got right here, really like
    what you are saying and the best way in which you assert it.
    You’re making it entertaining and you contiue to
    care for to stay itt sensible. I can’t wait to read much more from you.
    That is really a great website.