Norwegian Study Permit Key Steps

*Disclosure: The information regarding obtaining a study permit for studying in Norway can vary from university to university in Norway. It will vary from where the applicant was born and the applicant should look up further guidelines for the permit. I am no way an expert on the matter and this is likely to change from country to country.

I am writing this blog entry today to put together a chart on the best way to go about obtaining a study permit for studying in Norway for more then a three month period. I will be going over key advice and bullet points of important information you may not find on the official websites. My experience with obtaining a study permit for studying at the University of Bergen was a messy one. It took me many months to put together correct information, and many wrong turns. Studying abroad is such hard work due to the amount of things you need to complete by certain deadlines.

Step One: 

• Create a checklist of necessary steps in order of the deadline they need to be completed by. This will come in handy not only for the study permit but all of the requirements for studying abroad. 

Step Two:

• Know the difference between a study permit and a visa (I didn’t!)
  • More information on the difference is located on the UDI website.

If you are from the USA you do not need a visa to visit and go to school in Norway

Step Three:

• Know your embassy. There are four Norwegian Embassy’s and Consulates located in the US. Each one is assigned a group of states. If you are living in Washington state you are assigned the The Consulate General in San Francisco. 

Address:
575 Market Street, Suite 3950
San Francisco, CA 94105 USA
Phone: (415) 882-2000.
Fax: (415) 882-2001.
E-mail: cgsfo@mfa.no

General Office Hours:
Monday – Friday: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
The passport office is open from 1 p.m. – 3.30 p.m. all weekdays.
We are closed between 12 noon and 1 p.m.

Side Note:

Online it states that you must be present in person in order to obtain your study permit. As of today, this is false. When I went through this process I had done all of the research and looked on all of the official websites only to fly down to California and find out that I did not need to physically hand in my paperwork. It was one of the most wonderful trips with a couple of my aunts, but one that was completely unnecessary and caught me completely off guard. Everyone I had spoken to had gone to San Francisco to hand in paper work, and when I got there the woman working was shocked! The important information that I got from her was this:

1. After you apply email the consulate and let them know that you will be sending your information to them as well as ask any important questions you may have. Always double check to make sure the flight to California is required. 
  2. Make sure you have all of your important documents (I will be putting up a list)
  3. Do not buy your plane ticket to Norway until you have gotten some sort of response.

Step four:

• Apply!

Step five:

• Know how much everything costs and make sure you have a budget planned. The price for applying for a study permit is 2,500 NOK. (roughly 415 USD)

Step Six:

• Go to your local police station upon arriving in Norway and obtain a resident card for non EU/EEA/EFTA
  • In order to obtain your residence card you will need to make an appointment which requires you to go into the station for most places.

Items to bring with you: important documents (acceptance letter, proof of finance, etc )passport, and current address in Norway!

*You are required to do this no later then 2 weeks after arrival. However, if they give you an appointment after this time do not freak! You’re aloud to be in another country for three months without a permit.

Here is a screenshot from the UDI website of the documents that need to be submitted when applying for a study permit:

If you have any questions or feel as though I need to elaborate on anything feel free to comment. 🙂

2 thoughts on “Norwegian Study Permit Key Steps

1. let say that a person has completed bachelor degree in norway and has learned their language then what is the probability of getting employed and will that person get permanent residence permit

• I would advise to look into the requirements for permanent residence in Norway but it seems that you have some of the key requirements. I know that being fluent in Norwegian will make it much easier for you to be employed! Your chances look good to me, I would just follow up with it 🙂