The Cheesy Truth to Being Abroad!

“Traveling is like flirting with life. It’s like saying, ‘I would stay and love you, but I have to go.”

With my time in Norway coming to a swift end  I’m realizing that everything anyone ever told me about studying abroad is completely true. I want to dedicate this post to trying to portray feelings that are almost impossible to get down on paper.

When I first got to Norway I was terrified. The idea of plopping down in the middle of a country, let alone continent that I have never been before was nerve racking. However, the energy from other students at my university here was incredible. We all had this connection to each other even though we had never even met yet. Meeting people was easy but finding the right people was a little harder. You know what I’m talking about, the people that are suppose to make you cry saying goodbye, and laugh at every joke, or understand what it’s like to figure out who you are. Its those who your family and friends talk about before you leave pushing thoughts in your head that you’re going to find a group of people that you’ll never forget and always plan to see. When you live in this situation its almost hard to see that you’re becoming so close to people, yet when you look back it just seems like a slap in the face how obvious it was.

Arriving to Norway I felt like I had my life really sorted out. I knew what my major was, what my dream job was, who I was as a person, and even where I wanted to plant my roots. However, you meet people that love to learn and love to travel and you sit down and explain what your major is and how it will help you get your job and then one simple question makes you rethink everything. “why?” Then my life becomes spirals. However, I’m not doing a very good job at describing this moment because its not a downward spiral, or some sad realization how my life is meaningless, it gave me a time and place that allowed me to actually analyze what I’m doing with my life. It’s amazing what a little time out from reality will do to you. I have decided that I am going to pursue a double major and I’m extremely happy with that decision. Studying abroad allows you to be every aspect of yourself that you love without the worries of everyday stress and responsibility. I have never been in a group of girls where I can be my complete raw self and have them respond with love and “ya, that’s just Kelsey!” It makes you question why your life back home isn’t this sweet and amazing and lets you look into reality with a telescope and figure out what you can do to make this happiness stretch over seas.

The truth about studying abroad, even if it is a little cheesy, is that it takes who you are on a roller coaster ride and lets you ride through every low and high. The only way to put it into words is that studying abroad lets you explore a world that you may not have seen and lets you meet people from all over the world. People that will forever be in your heart and only a plane ticket away. It lets you express yourself in a non stress environment in order to develop a way in life that makes you a better person. I know that from now on my paychecks are going to plane tickets. The Kelsey that started this blog is now improved.

These inspirational quotes have helped me put words to the feelings that are invoked during studying abroad and I hope they help others too 🙂

“Traveling– It leaves you speechless then turns you into a storyteller”

*These inspirational quotes were found online.