Settling Down in Osaka

It’s been a little more than a week since arriving in Osaka, Japan, and I’ve finally settled down enough to write about my experiences over the past ten or so days.

I left Seattle on March 31st and caught my flight to San Francisco where I was supposed to catch a connecting flight to my final destination in Osaka. Unfortunately, there was a weather delay and I ended up missing my flight out of San Francisco by about five minutes. All of the flights from San Francisco to Osaka were booked for the next two days so I had no choice but to be rerouted to Seoul later that day from where I was finally able to catch my flight to Osaka. I arrived at Osaka around 10pm but the problem was the check in hours for my dorm were between 1 and 7pm, meaning I had no choice but to wait in the airport until the next day. After very little sleep on my flight over, and even less sleep in the airport, I was finally able to make it to my dorm a full day later than I expected. Ironically, a mere five minutes ended up costing me a full day.

After making it to my dorm, I was given the key to my room as well as a welcome pack containing a description of a handful of things I had to do immediately after arriving. These tasks ended up being very complicated and involved registering with the city office and filling out some paperwork. Thankfully, I was able to make some friends in my dorm soon after arriving and they helped me through the process. Without them I probably would not have been able to figure anything out. I also did some shopping and purchased some necessities including food, some cooking utensils, as well as some general household products.

After buying everything I needed, I decided it was time to explore Osaka and a few friends and I made a trip to Osaka Castle. The weather that day was fairly wet, but we decided we had to visit the castle as soon as possible while the cherry blossoms were still in bloom. This ended up being a great decision and seeing Osaka Castle surrounded by pink was truly a pleasure.

School has just started and there are still a few things I need to do to settle down completely, but after that I will be able to focus on my studies. Hopefully, over the next five months I will be able to explore Osaka and Japan a lot more, and I’ll make sure to write about any interesting experiences I have.

Thanks for reading.