Reflection after the return home

I feel that I gained a mountain of perspective from this study abroad trip. I was able to see how people in another country of a different economical background survive. The political climate and the overall culture of Guatemala were hard for me to digest. I think that on our day with the promoters, I had true sadness brought to my attention. I was talking with one of the promoters who said he did his best to teach about safe partnerships, the importance of family planning, the need for contraception, and healthy relationships. This man recognized all of those problems and was doing his best to educate the youth. I asked him what he thought was going to actually change the way things were, he said he didn’t know if it could change because of the machismo culture. It made me so sad to hear this man who was pouring his heart and soul into educating the youth say he didn’t know anything would make a difference. These problems are on a country level and are not going to be able to change unless huge endeavors are made. I do not know how you can change a deep-rooted culture or a country that is strong on its religions beliefs even if it seems it is pressing the people deeper and deeper into poverty.