"We are UWTacoma" storytelling

July 23, 2019

A Mid-term Report

We are a little more than half-way through with our Storytelling Project, and so far we’ve had countless interviews, numerous story submissions, and tons of questions about what we are trying to accomplish with our project. We’ve had the incredible experience of hearing stories not just from students, but also members of the faculty and staff.

These stories have really highlighted what I have always known and felt to be true about this campus and this community: that it is a place to find yourself, a place where you feel like you belong, a place that gives you every opportunity for success.

We have heard stories about the dedication and commitment of our faculty and staff across numerous departments on campus.

We have heard about the achievements of not only students, but also faculty and staff that have been given life-changing opportunities because of this university.

We have been given first hand experiences of those who have seen and witnessed the changes this university has gone through, and how hard this university works to create the best possible outcomes for its students.

We have heard stories about how they found a sense of belonging and community on this campus, which is something they didn’t expect and or even think was possible.

All of the stories we’ve heard have been unique and personal, not one story has started the same or had the same ending.

Listening to the stories and the experiences of my peers has been an incredibly humbling experience, and it has given me the opportunity to reflect on my own journey as a UW Tacoma student, and to appreciate the opportunities and experiences that I had because of this university. As we finish the last few weeks of this project, I am excited to hear the last few stories, to see how else UW Tacoma has made its mark. As always, I encourage you to submit your own story so that we can continue to create a community of students who are connected to each other through experience and opportunity.

~Rachel Howe

Project intern